Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo

I love children's books that purport to have disguised an important and moral-based theme into an otherwise charming story. The movie came out and I thought nothing of it until a couple of people remarked that the children's book was actually quite intelligently written with good lessons for children and adults alike.

I have to say, the messages did seem quite mature for the audience they were intended for but, at the same time, unfortunately appropriate for quite a few children I know; including themes regarding betrayal and parental abandonment.

DiCamillo also has a very interesting style of writing which was very entertaining. The book was written as if a narrator was telling you a story and sometimes talks directly to the reader. I also heard it compared to the Grimm's Fairy Tales which I absolutely love. She also uses large words which I think would be so great for kids to get interested in developing vocabulary.

I think this is a great book for kids as well as adults. It's a quick, fun read with a good moral ... We aren't always going to get what we want out of life but it's important also to have dreams, let's just make sure they're realistic and attainable.

1 comment:

  1. Do you buy your books, or check them out from the library? If you bought this one, I'd love to borrow it!

    ReplyDelete