Friday, February 13, 2009

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Do you feel like you have something in your life you were "called" to do or be? Something that really sparks a desire? For some people it's being a mother, for others a doctor or maybe politics. For me it was the Middle East. I have a strange pull to that region - their culture, art and language. And it's not to say that I didn't ever want to be a mother. I know I was called for that too but not in the same way. I think for some people they draw a line to the place they want to end up and make a straight line towards it, they don't waiver in their desires and end up exactly where they want to be without a lot of veerings off their course. That's not to say that the course was hard but they were determined.
This is the kind of rambling that The Alchemist has me doing in my mind. It is a thought provoking kind of book. I don't think it ends up drawing necessarily the exact same conclusion about life as I do, especially considering some things don't jive with the gospel, but it's really interesting nonetheless. It really got me thinking about maybe something else I should be striving towards, like maybe I'm a little off my path. If anything it got me considering how much I want to get back to school and finish my degree. I would love to know what you think about this book. This one would be a great one to discuss! Let me know if you read it.

1 comment: